Monday, July 6, 2009

Horse Race Betting - Statistics, Heart or Gut Instinct


There are people who love to bet on the horses. They all have their own way of determining which horse to bet on. There are those who only consider the statistics to help them find profitable betting angles. They look at the past wins for sure but also study the trainers, jockeys and the blood line of each horse. They study the finish position and the amount that has been paid out when the horse raced before. These betters usually get and study the tip sheets where past performances are outlined. The tip sheets are prepared by professional handicappers. Some people always bet on the favorite because they traditionally win about a third of the time. The only drawback with betting the favorite is that a lot of people bet that way. Because of that fact the return could be relatively safe but the pay out is usually small.

There are those betters who just love a particular horse. They don’t care about how the horse has performed in the past or what the tip sheets have to say about them. They could care less about the odds. They may like the way the horse looks or walks. They may appreciate the liveliness of the animal or may actually feel sorry for him because he is the long shot. It might be that they have a soft spot for the jockey or just like the way the horse and jockey look together. Because it is based on feelings rather than statistics its outcome is doubtful but the better will not be daunted by that. He bets for the love of betting.

Lastly, there are those enthusiasts who place their bets using good old gut instinct. Maybe they notice an edge the horse might be exhibiting. Maybe they think it is the horse’s lucky day. It could have been a voice in their head telling them to take the chance or something he read or saw that struck him. Maybe it was just a coincidence that led him to a particular horse and/or jockey. They may not even understand the bet themselves; they only know they have to place it.

No matter what technique is used, horse betting is a past time enjoyed by many. Most will tell you that it is not the win or loss that brings the excitement, but the running of the race. How do you bet - gut, heart, or statistics?

6 comments:

  1. You are so right. The thrill is the running of the horses. It's a powerful thing to watch. I bet with my heart. I've always had a soft spot for a pretty horse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always pick the horse with the coolest name. I guess that puts me in the bets with heart category. I even win sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bet by the gut kinda guy. I tried figuring out the statistics but I guess I wasn't smart enough for that because it never worked anyway. At least now I have fun even if I don't win often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been all 3 at one time or another. More statistics, but that is time consuming and really an exact science. Sometimes I just want the bet to be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi

    My name is Emily Walker. I've just visited your website and I was wondering if you'd be interested in exchanging links with my website. I can offer you a HOME PAGE link back from 2 of my Gambling Guide websites which are:

    http://anthonygreenmusic.com/ with page rank 5
    http://itcontrolling.info/ with page rank 2

    If you are interested, please add the following information to your
    website and kindly let me know when it's ready. I'll do the same for
    you in less than 24 hours, otherwise you can delete my link from your
    site.

    Title: Horse Betting
    URL: http://www.freebettingonline.co.uk/Horse-Racing-Betting/
    Description: View all the latest horse racing information online.



    I hope you have a nice day and thank you for your time.

    Best regards;

    Emily Walker
    emily.walker@anthonygreenmusic.com
    Web Marketing Consultant



    This is just a link exchange request, but if you feel uncomfortable receiving these kind of requests, please let me know at stop@nomoremails.com, or just register at www.nomoremails.com so we avoid contacting you again. Thanks for your attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading your articles. Keep sharing it!

    TVG.com
    TVG Horse Racing Channel

    ReplyDelete